Sunday, September 30, 2007

Beyond the Classroom



This past Friday, I attended my observing school's Homecoming football game. I must say that I was surprised at the world that it took me back to. At first I felt a little awkward because I was neither parent nor sibling, and I definitely was no longer a high school student. I took a seat in the stands and began to wonder what my presence at the game would mean for the students that I was with two days a week. I ventured to the concession stand at half-time and found my answer. Several of the students that I have formed relationships with inside the classroom over the past five weeks approached me, and they were very happy that I was there to support them. They wanted to talk about anything and everything and they loved that I was someone who wanted to listen. I learned so many new things about my students just from seeing them outside of the classroom. One of my students won Homecoming Queen, and I was so glad that I chose to be there for her and all of my students that night.

3 comments:

kdstull said...

I have seen the same type of thing too in my classroom. Overall, sometimes the students just want attention. Not in a bad way, but just in the sense that they want to be recognized. So that probably meant a lot that you went. Some of my students are the same way. I can tell one girl likes me because she's a cheerleader and talks to me about it since I was one too. She makes an effort to say hi to me in the hallway if she sees me so it's nice to have some bond like that. And others are just random... the come up and want my CT to read stories they've written on their own, etc and that's cool too. It's good we're there for them in case the parents aren't for some reason.

SDickerson said...

I think it is really important for our students to know we are there to support them in more than just the classroom setting. I love getting to know my kids on a "real" level, and I think students will be more honest with there teachers if they see we really care. I haven't been able to attend a football game yet, but I do make sure to ask about how the sporting events go, and I make sure to give encouragement when I know they have games coming up.

Veronica said...

Hey Lauren,

I feel that it is really important to be involved in the school in other ways then just the 9-3 classroom teacher. Students need to know that you are supportive of the things that they are interested in. I am not a big soccer fan, but it is important to support those kids who play soccer, and go to a game. If you take an interest in what they are doing, then I think that they will be more receptive to you as a teacher. A good teacher knows their students, and takes an interest in their interests. They know on monday morning who won that football game, whether they were able to attend or not. I think it is so important to be that type of teacher, and to try to be involved in the school through clubs or sports in some way, shape, or form.