Monday, September 10, 2007

The Book Thief: A Journey Beyond Historical Facts

When I first began reading The Book Thief, I anticipated myself as a reader being overwhelmed with historical facts about Nazi Germany, Hitler, and the Holocaust. As I kept reading, however, I discovered that innocence, human relationships, and the brevity of life are the central areas of focus in Markus Zusak's novel. Zusak could have shortened the novel considerably, cutting out several details of Liesel's story, but, I believe, his book's purpose is to move beyond historical facts, and to reveal one story that mirrors the story of thousands of victims in Nazi Germany. I think that it is important for Liesel's character not to be Jewish because her innocent life and death reveal how war and violence affect all things.

I feel that The Book Thief is a powerful book because it is written in a style that blends different genres. Readers of various ages can appreciate its short chapters, informative definitions, and handwritten text and drawings. As a teacher, I believe that these literary elements can heighten students' interests and encourage them to keep reading. For example, when Liesel begins to read the story that Max, her secret Jew, wrote for her during his time in her family's basement, she learns about the information that Hitler includes in his Mein Kampf. In the classroom, it will not be efficient to have students read Hitler's book, but Zusak's unique way of conveying a brief summary of Hitler's story with handwritten text and illustrations provides students with information that will help them navigate The Book Thief and Nazi Germany history. I felt that, throughout the text, Zusak does an excellent job of hitting the historical high points.

My thoughts on The Book Thief are captured perfectly by Liesel, "I have hated the words and I have loved them" (528). I believe that this novel is important because it tackles big issues that many of us will inevitably come across at some point in our lives. My hope is that I will be able to share this novel with my students one day.

No comments: