Saturday, October 20, 2007

Comic books, technology, and writers...oh my!

I attended my first English teacher conference this weekend, and I learned a great deal not only about teaching, but also about English teachers. While I found some sessions to be quite helpful, there were a few that I might not have benefited as significantly from. I enjoyed the presentations on technology and comic books the most because I feel like I can really use strategies from both presentations to engage my students in the classroom regardless of what material I am covering. One of my favorite experiences at the conference was with the author that I met, Scott Loring Sanders. In an intimate environment, we were able to hear this writer read from his new book. This was an exciting situation that I have not been in since elementary school. His reading and his book discussion really got me thinking about finding local writers in the areas that I teach in and inviting them to share their stories with the class. Personally, I felt encouraged by him to take chances and pursue my dreams. I feel like local writers can really move students in ways that their text(s) alone cannot.

At the conference, I also was able to meet and interact with English teachers from around the state. I quickly noticed that there was a large age difference between most of the conference participants. Either participants were graduate students or very new teachers, or participants were older, more experienced teachers with years of teaching under their belts. In sessions like the 21st century skills session, this difference was magnified. The new teachers or graduate students had fewer questions about emerging technologies, while the more experienced teachers listened closely and asked more questions. I felt as though both groups had so much to offer one another. The conference also allowed me to see how every teacher brings a unique dynamic to the English classroom. We all have different strengths, and an important element of teaching is to tap into that dynamic, embrace it, and, above all, use it to help students reach their potential.

No comments: